A precondition for foreign investments is a competitive business ambient, as well as providing information on the potentials for development of our city. Aiming to improve the economic ambient which would create conditions for faster development in economy, the local city administration provides financial and institutional support.
• Local Administration Services
The city of Trebinje has realized a great number of services through opening the following centres:
– Citizen Service Centre which provides a fast and efficient service where citizens, at one place, as soon as possible, can solve the request sent to the City Administrative Service. All guides through the City Administrative Service are here on disposal, as well as forms needed for the implementation of citizens’ rights. The Citizen Service Centre has a post office counter so, right on the spot, a citizen can make all necessary payments (taxes), related to solving the request and implementing rights.
– Centre for permission in the area of construction and entrepreneurship, with the goal of shortening the procedure of getting different kinds of permits for construction (deadline 30 days for complete and clean documentation) or registration of facilities (deadline 1-3 days for complete documentation)
– Inspection and services of the Communal Police
• Available business institutions:
1. Agency for Development of Small and Medium – sized Enterprises (SME)
Founded with the goal of creating conditions and providing support for the development of small and medium sized enterprises(SME) and their qualitative engagement in economic and financial flows (help with starting business), through the following activities:
– Stimulating foundation, management and development of micro, small and medium sized enterprises, giving help, advices and information, training and consulting services.
Agency should take the leading role in the development of service market for SME, to gain trust of clients by developing quality services.
Priorities in the Agency are as follows:
– Making and implementing of development projects
– Providing legal and consulting services to its clients
– Promotion of entrepreneurship on the territory of the City of Trebinje
– Organizing educational events for potential and existing entrepreneurs
2.Business zone Volujac (area of 85 hectare) is a location for construction of economic capacities, determined by the „Zoning plan Volujac“ about 20 years ago. It is located 4 km from the city centre on the main road M20 – towards Dubrovnik, on the right – Substation 35/10 kB, water infrastructure built (diameter of pipes 100 mm, capacity that does not need complex technological processes), canalization can not be connected to the city network, another solution must be found, access road to Volujac: 1 km of the asphalted road, ownership of the land: 55% state and 45% private owners (expropriation possible). Currently, five companies are located in the zone. Distance of the zone from the main road is 1 km, from the railroad 70 km, from the sea port 30 km, from the airport 45 km.
Planned programs for economic development and strengthening of the economy
1.Public call to unemployed persons for using the funds of the self-employment support
Target group of the Program of the self-employment consists of the unemployed who are registered with the Employment Service- Office of Trebinje, as active job seekers. The subsidy is awarded for the self-employment ( starting own business) in all sectors except trade and catering (except for original ideas related to tourism and local products), provided that the business continue to perform at least 24 months from the date of signing the subsidy agreement.
2.Public call to business entities in the initial stages of the business for using the means of the support
Target group for submitting request according to this Public call consists of business entities who succesfully used the measures of the self-employment support. Measures of the self-employment support include programs and calls related to self-employment support announced by the City of Trebinje. Business entities that have successfully used the measures of the support include those entities who used mentioned measures and completed all contractual obligations under the same.
3.Public call catering, training and additional training
City of Trebinje will announce Public call to catering facilities registered for performing the activity of providing accommodation, food preparation, hotels and catering , as well as to travel agencies with the headquarters in Trebinje for the use of funds provided by the City, for the payment of contributions to salary to the persons employed for the purpose of training and probation period of 4 months for the unemployed who are registered with the Employment Service-Branch office Trebinje. The right to the allocation of funds have all employers who are the owners of the catering facilities registered for performing the activity of providing accommodation, food preparation, hotels and catering and travel agencies which employ persons on the probation period and training of 4 months with the records of the Employment Service of the RS – Branch office Trebinje.
4.Public call for a retraining program
City of Trebinje will announce Public call for vocational training ( additional training or retraining )in order to implement the Program of the measures to encourage employment and maintenace of the higher employment rate.
5.Public call for stimulation of new jobs creation
The subject of this Public call is the allocation of incentives for direct creation of new jobs in the companies and independent entrepreneurs from the City of Trebinje area, as well as the support in co-financing the procurement of equipment for equipping the cabinet for practical training in secondary vocational schools in order to provide qualified workforce in the labour market, and to support the competitiveness of business entities.
Economic events and projects
1.Fair of Honey and wine “ Trebinje
Traditional manifestation „ Fair of Honey and Wine“ Trebinje held since 2007 within the Transfiguration celebration and Patron Saint of the City of Trebinje. The organizer of this manifestation is the Agrarian Fund of the City in cooperation with the Beekeepers cooperative „ Žalfija“ and Association of the beekeepers „ Leotar“ under the patronage of the City of Trebinje.That occasion, in one place brings togetherboth a large number of local exhibitors and exhibitors from the region of Bosnia, Serbia, Montenegro, Croatia. Our exhibitors are beekeepers, beekeepers equipment producers, producers of natural cosmetics based on the honey and other bee products.Also, an important participant of the fair is the Association of the Winemakers and Winegrowers„ Vinos“ Trebinje that brings together grape growers and producers of the high-quality wines. Traditionally, the first stand is made of rich table of the Herzegovinian local specialities, prosciutto, cheese , olive where all visitors can taste presented delicacies, tastevarious types of wine and specific local products. The Fair is organized in Dučić street , which is the center of the event of Transfiguration celebration. Since 2018 award of the plaque for „the best decorated stand“ and „ the stand with the most various offer of the bee products“ has been introduced.
Beekeepers cooperative „ Žalfija“ and Association of the beekeepers „ Leotar“ have an important role in organization of the fairin order to animate its cooperative farmers and members, for a massive participation at the fair..
On the second day of the fair, since 2015, in addition to exhibitors, Chamber of Commerce of the RS and the Regional Chamber of Commerce Trebinje joined the event , with the manifestation „Caravan of the local products“ within the project „ Ours is better“ in order to promote local products. In the context of this event , business entities and small entrepreneurs from the entire RS , exhibit their rich assortment of food , where tasting of food is always mandatory.Exhibitors come from Banja Luka, Gradiška, Prijedor, Prnjavor, Kozarska Dubica, Nevesinje, Bileća, Ljubinja and other cities of the Republic of Srpska.
2. „Herceg fest“
„ Herceg fest“ event Trebinje was established in 2019 in order to become a tradition. It takes place on the 25th of May. Exhibitors are cooperators of the Agrarian Fund who launch their products via Herzeg house. This fair has the role of , in addition to promoting local agricultural products, marking the beginning and opening of the tourist season of our city. The organizer of this event is Agrarian Fund of the City of Trebinje in cooperation with the Tourist organization of the City , under the patronage of the City of Trebinje.
The City of Trebinje is open for projects applied to European institutions and funds, so far Trebinje has participated and implemented a series of international projects and few projects are yet in progress. Some of them are:
1. Project of a cross-border cooperation with Niksic Municipality, under the name „Improving touristic and traffic signalization on the relation Trebinje-Nikšić“. The project Contract with the EU Delegation was signed in Sarajevo. Implementation period – 18 months.
2. „The development of international touristic corridor through the South Herzegovina and saving the environment“ which lasted from July 2012. until June 2015. and was implemented by the Government of Japan and Council of Ministers of BiH (Technical Committee, Subcommittee and Work Teams from Mostar and Trebinje).
The ultimate project goal was to crate an “International touristic corridor” in the region of South Herzegovina, as well as a sustainable mechanism for development of tourism through public-private partnerships.
Why invest in Trebinje
Position, climate and natural resources are basic development potentials of Trebinje.
Reasons for investing in Trebinje are many:
- Favourable geographical position: border of three countries
- Mediterranean climate – suitable for groining all kinds of Mediterranean cultures
- Significant natural resources: hydro potential and sun energy (over 260 sunny days a year)
- Unpolluted agricultural land (especially the possibility for producing organic food).The city area has three arable fields: Trebinjsko, Ljubomirsko and Popovo field.
- Area especially suitable for production of honey, wine, tobacco and aromatic herbs. It is known by its high-quality herbs that are used in the pharmaceutical and cosmetic industry.
- Possibility of irrigation, arable areas over 90%
- Rich touristic resources: luxurious and preserved nature, cultural and historical monuments, religious objects, traditional cultural events
One of development directions is investing in the area of education and science. The city has 4 elementary schools, 4 high schools and 3 faculties (Faculty for production and management, Faculty for tourism and hotel management and Academy of Fine Arts) with the purpose to develop into a University Centre. Also, there are two agencies for learning foreign languages in the city area.
It is a nice place for work and life: rich cultural heritage, many natural beauties, traditional food, rich cultural life, good traffic connectivity etc.